Inclusion by design

To be properly Sovereign, and enable maximum real market availability for all actors, should we from the outset use Inclusive Design techniques? This means planning and designing for customers who may be disabled by environment or physical impairment from using classic UIs, that we should incorporate edge case persona in our desiging, and consider accessibility of services for all actors, but especially for Identity Owners. See http://www.inclusivedesigntoolkit.com/betterdesign2/ for a useful overview.

That is a very good point. Most of the Sovrin energy is being expended in the foundation layer of the ledger and consensus mechanisms. A proportion is also being expended in the middle layer of agents and inter-agent protocols. There’s little effort from the core team on the top UI layer, which is probably best left to UI experts.

Personally I’m really keen to see the first demo apps which use Sovrin. Getting a simple and effective UI is vital to success - people won’t want to know about consensus algorithms, DIDs and DDOs. They will just want something simple that works and keeps them secure. And that should be applicable for all users however “abled” they are.

If some UI experts could jump into this conversation that would be great!

I guess UI is mostly the province of apps using the foundation layer, however as UI is only part of UX and we have users that are not end customers or identity owners (eg developers), it might be worth consider this in current work. For example, using audio description where demo videos are published, making sure that transcripts are provided for audio voice-overs on videos.

Nicky, thanks much for reminding all of us that a system is not really self-sovereign unless it works for everyone. Designing for inclusion is critical from the start.

I’m happy with where we are on that at the plumbing layers, but as Andy says, we need to actively design for it at the higher layers, and that starts with developers being conscious about it.