Restrictions on the structure of records that can be written on the ledger?

Are there (or will there be) any restrictions on the structure of records that can be written on the ledger?

I’m guessing there might be a sort of standard for recording data on the ledger… If so, how are these restrictions going to be enforced?

Also, I understand new IDs will only be created by trust anchors, but how about general claims? Will any agent be able to write claims about themselves or other entities on the Sovrin Ledger? I’d like to know what are the limitations on this regard.

Thanks.

Carlos, the short answer is that identity owners can write their own claim definitions to the Sovrin ledger and then write instances of those claim definitions to the ledger. So it’s inherently extensible.

That said, if there are hundreds or thousands of different claims definitions, we’ll have a Tower of Babel. So a distributed ledger for self-sovereign identity definitely raises the stakes for semantic interoperability.

There’s a lot of discussion going on about this right now, so please feel free to share any thoughts you have about how you prefer to solve this thorny issue.

Good, I’m looking forward to get acquainted with the result of those discussions. IMO, this is a key feature of the Sovrin platform.

Maybe there should be some form of restriction as to who (and in which circumstances) can actually upload new claim definitions? Otherwise there’s a chance for spam. Maybe there could be some sort of “leveled” permission system as to whom and which types of claims (or any form of upload whatsoever) can be stored? That would extend the concept of trust anchors to a whole spectrum of “trust anchoring level” for any entity on the system…

Carlos, that is exactly the kind of governance policy question that the Sovrin Trust Framework Working Group will be focused on. Getting the initial permissions right is critical to Sovrin’s success.